Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Re-Vamp, Re-Use, Re-cycle

This is a re-awakening of Blue Jello. From now on, I will use this space to share what I love doing most: re-living the past. Ok, not completely stepping into a time machine, but this will now be my online journal for posting all my wonderful vintage finds. Ever since I was a tiny little girl I have felt (and my entire family has felt) that I was born in the wrong generation. When my friends were listening to New Kids on the Block and TLC, I was listening to Steve Miller and CCR. When everyone was watching Full House and Blossom, I was watching reruns of the Brady Bunch and Three's Company. As long as I can remember I have loved mushrooms. Not the psychadelics or the kind you eat, but cute, cartoon mushrooms, like you would see on the Smurfs or in much of the decor of the 70's. Everytime I am watching TV and a movie or show from the 70's comes on, I am inclined to watch it. Not because I like the cheesy humor, but just to absorb the culture and the ambiance. I don't even mind Avacado Green appliances and orange countertops (an ode to my grandma's house growing up).

I also happen to be cheap. Rarely do I buy clothes in a mall or department store. I always find really unique stuff in discount stores like Ross, TJ Maxx, and Marshalls. But my most favorite place to shop is the Thrift Shop (and when the weather is nice, yard sales). I come by it honestly; my grandmother is the Thrift Shop Queen, and she has been taking me "thrifting" for as long as I can remember. My mom is also a big thrifter. I love getting a bargain, but more than that I just love finding old stuff.

My boyfriend and I are in the final stage of purchasing our first house. It is a cape cod built in 1985, and it doesn't look like it's had an update--ever. But that is ok with me! I love the "vintage" feel of the place, and now we can put our own touches on everything.
For now I will leave you with a few examples of my quirky collections I have amassed over my 26 years. Any time I find something cool, I'll blog that too. Enjoy...I know I will!


My desk at home. I've had the fairies and mushrooms as long as I can remember. The flowers in the back left are a swatch of wallpaper taken from my aunt and uncle's groovy 1970's house when they remodeled.


A ceramic planter I got from a yard sale when I was 10 or 11. My love of mushrooms goes way back!

No comments:

Post a Comment